Panic Attacks and Anxiety

My problem I get “panic” sometimes from reasons, many other think’s they are ridicules, like a loud voice, or someone I like upset and I feel my heart beats very fast, weird pain in my head and feeling my body is burning. On the other hand, sometimes nothing is happening, bad thoughts comes on my mind and then I feel like that.

Also there are some certain events that happened to me in the past when it comes to my mind I become nervous and try to leave my friends or my family so I can be alone and pray it will not happen again. Moreover I keep track people I love by sometimes talking to them like I want something but I actually I have a problem thinking that something bad happened to them.

I tried my best to write correct English as it is not my mother language. Sorry for the mistakes.

I hope I get a solution, I want to feel more peaceful, relaxed and don’t panic very fast. I want a way to stops those bad thoughts and being constantly worrying. It bothers me because sometimes even in meetings at work I don’t concentrate, if a thought comes in my mind I keep prying in my mind and feel nervous.

Thanks and best regards.

A: Thank you for writing. I understand why this bothers you so much.

I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a letter, of course. I can tell you that what you are reporting sounds like generalized anxiety disorder with some panic attacks also occurring now and then. If that’s the case, then cognitive behavior therapy is the treatment that will probably be most helpful. Your therapist will help you learn how to stop the bad thoughts and calm down. With practice, you will be able to do it by yourself.

Please talk to your doctor about how to find a counselor to help you. In the meantime, “Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy,” a book by David Burns, is an excellent place to start working on the problem.