I was wondering if a child with ODD will continue to be defiant if they get what they want. I have heard they will act up even when they get everything they want and do whatever they want. Is this true?

A: Thank you for asking this important question about your child. I think the safest thing to do is to consult an expert on ADD and ODD so that you can understand the dynamics involved. The idea of the child receiving what they want and not being satisfied it may certainly be the core of the dilemma, but what is often more important is to understand the struggle the child is having and address that directly.

For this I would highly encourage evaluation and consultation with an expert – a psychologist or psychiatrist with a specialty in this area. You can begin by looking at the find help tab on the top of the page, or contact the local hospital with outpatient services in mental health for a referral.