Talking with Myself

I’m a 20 year old college student. I have always had a problem with trying to talk to people about my problems in life. So instead I talk to myself a lot. I don’t know how to describe it but it’s like I am talking to a clone of myself. I have conversation with with myself a lot and it ends up helping me understand a lot of things but at the same time I realize it is just me agreeing with myself. I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not.

A: Why is this a problem? Lots of people talk themselves through difficulties. It’s fine as long as you can keep it private and not let it interfere with your life with other people.

However — you also say that you have always had trouble talking to people. I hope that you allow yourself the comfort and intimacy that comes with sharing life’s challenges with people who care about you and who you want to be close to. It’s not necessary to do that with everyone you meet, of course. But it is an important part of deep friendships and romantic relationships.

If you really can’t do that, perhaps you should see a counselor to help you learn how to start. Therapy can be a very good rehearsal for breaking through your inhibitions about sharing your life. With some practice, you’ll be able to take what you learned out of the session and into your life.