Daughter Obsessed with My Mother

My 10 yo daughter is obsessed with my mother. It consumes her every thought. She says she misses her and wants to see her. We are all very close with my mom. We see her all of the time. But lately, my daughter is obsessed. It consumes her thoughts to the point she thinks of nothing else all day everyday and bursts out into tears all of the time. I do not know how to handle this. I try talking to her about it but she just crus and says she misses my mom. What can I do? Will this pass?

A. You daughter’s behavior seems unusual. I can’t answer your question regarding whether this will “pass.” It may or may not and it depends on what is driving her obsession.

I don’t have enough information to know what might be wrong. When did this obsession begin? How can you tell that this obsession “consumes her every thought?” Did something traumatic occur to your daughter in the presence of your mother? I’m wondering what you think may have started this obsession?

If the situation does not improve, then you should have your daughter evaluated by a mental health professional. The mental health professional will gather many more details about the situation and determine what might be wrong. The mental health professional will also assist you in attempting to interrupt or break this obsession. At this point, it seems as though professional treatment is required. Your daughter may not need treatment for a long period and it is certainly worth the effort. Professional help may be the most efficient way to deal with this problem. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice Blog