Am I a Psychopath?

well, the whole issue started when i first told my partner that i been having thoughts about, well, murdering everyone i saw, i would picture it in my head and its been really hard to keep those thoughts off. Every time i see someone, its gotten to the point where i dont sleep because it helps me not think about it; my partner been asking me to seek help because he thinks i’m a psychopath… just never said anything until now. He spoke to my father and just told me how everything about me fit the profile of a psychopath, the lying, the ‘charming’ behavior, how i cant keep a job for extended periods of time and a lot more, i never saw anything wrong with me and still don’t, but i just wanted to know if its appropriate that i seek help for it, and what the easiest way would be… again the only thing that’s been bothering me is those thoughts of killing someone, its just really hard to do or concentrate on anything else…

A: The only thing that bothers you is that you keep thinking about murder? Yeah. I think you should get an evaluation.

I don’t know if you are a psychopath or not. I do know that constant thoughts about hurting others isn’t what most 21 year-old men are thinking about. Further, it’s getting in the way of your sleep – which will only make it harder for you to get your thoughts in order. It’s also interfering with your concentration, which is probably having a negative impact on your job performance. So, yes. It’s absolutely appropriate for you to seek help for it.

Ask your doctor for a referral to a mental health professional. Make an appointment and have that initial talk. There’s no obligation to continue if it doesn’t feel right. Chances are, though, that the counselor will give you some answers and some direction about how to stop those thoughts so you can get on with your life.