My Girlfriend Was Involuntarily Committed

My girlfriend recently got baker acted. She had an episode with her mom and it got to the point where she threatened herself and her mom with a knife because she was told she couldn’t leave the house. She’s been diagnosed with bpd, however she only has these episodes with her mom/family, I really never seen her do anything that bad. I’m wondering if she actually has bpd or what, I don’t know what or who to believe, also, her episodes have been going on for quite some time, I just need advice. I really love this girl and I know she loves me, and never did she get that angry with me or pushed me away. Please Help

A: Thank you for sending in this question. These do seem to be important issues and I wouldn’t treat them lightly. The fact that she had violent episodes and that she needed to be involuntarily committed for evaluation is a serious thing. The way I would approach this is to start reading more about BPD. In particular I would look at the book Stop Walking On Eggshells. This will give you some idea of how to be a support in a person’s life with this diagnosis.