Repeating What I Hear

I am a healthy 56 year old male. I was in a detox hospital to come off a therapeutic dose of Valium for 25 years. During my hospital stay I was pretty drugged up and one morning I walked into the TV room and I repeated in my head what I heard on the TV. After that I repeated what other people were saying. Now that is all I can think about and I constantly ruminate about it and it is absolutely driving me crazy. I keep checking to see if I am repeating what I heard on TV or what people are saying even though I am now repeating what I hear I am consumed with the idea. I also started to question my thought process and how I read in my head. Can someone tell me what this condition is and if there is treatment for it. I am desperate as I don’t know how much longer I can take this.

A: While there are conditions such as echolalia, where repeating what others are saying is a central symptom, it would be beyond the limits of this forum to offer a diagnosis in any specific situation. I would recommend you make an appointment with a psychiatrist to explain the timing, the conditions and the symptoms. This will help pinpoint the likely cause and treatment.