No Answers

I was told by a psychiatrist that once assessed me that it seems that since I don’t know what happened to me in the past (being shuffled from home to home, relative to relative, school to school, blurry memories, adults telling me different stories), that I try to obtain these answers by reaching out to other people and ask them inappropriate questions/obtain information that makes them uncomfortable around me. When I pressured psychiatrist for a “label,” he put “Narcissistic Features” on my Axis II diagnosis and said that if he “had” to label it as something, then that’s what it would be. I am not able to get in touch with this psychiatrist as he has taken ill. I’ve been searching to see if I can find papers or books on the issue – but so far I’ve found nothing. I was wondering if I could please get more info as I feel he was onto something and that the more information I have, the better I will be at making changes.

A: The clinical term is Narcissistic Personality Disorder if someone meets the whole criteria, and this is easy to search on the Web for articles and books. But I would encourage you not to focus on only the negative or diagnostic features of your personality. This may eclipse your strengths and talents. I suggest that you take the character strengths survey, a very well researched and free tool to help you identify the strengths of your personality. This can help you balance your less desirable personality features with ones you may want to nurture and develop.