Girlfriend’s Mother Thinks I’m Dangerous

Hello, to start off how this trouble started was a party in my house, that was for my brother’s baby shower. Well my brother invited my girlfriend and her family. I have social phobia, and sometimes I can be scared of going out to the party since there will be people there I don’t know. Well I couldn’t go out to the party to be with my girlfriend, even when she begging me to go out there with her. I had a panic attack that day, and since I didn’t end up going out, my girlfriend left sad and my girlfriend’s mom left angry. Well now, the mom is saying that I have to change, because she thinks that there’s something wrong with me, that she’s never seen anything like it, and said that I need to change or else she will block all communications between me and my girlfriend. I’ve never been social throughout my life. How do I explain to my girlfriends mom that I’m no danger, and what social phobia is, because all the mother told me was to “man up”

A: It sounds like the social phobia you speak of is something you may want to learn more about and find ways of coping with. Group therapy is an excellent way to learn coping skills and there are a number of short-term groups that can help with this. The find help tab at the top of this page can help you locate someone in your area that can get you on track. If there are no groups you may want to start with an individual therapist who has experience in this area. I think this can be a great benefit for you.