Memory of Rape

I was being sexually harrassed by a boy started at 7, he was in 7th grade and I was in 1st. He helped out in the school a lot and whenever he did he would lick me and say nasty things to me. He told me not to tell anybody and of course I didn’t.

It went on and on until I turned 9 years old I started puberty. I was then in 3rd grade and he was in 9th. He still helped out in the school and when he found out that I was going through puberty including my period he took advantage of that. He forced me into a janitors closet and of course raped me. Nobody knew until my best friend read my journal last year and found out herself. I’ve been helping myself and have been fine but lately I have been having nightmares and I keep hallucinating him at random times. It’s scaring me and I don’t know what to do.

A. Repeated memories of a traumatic incident are most likely flashbacks. During a flashback, a person will reexperience the act as though it is happening again. The flashbacks may be triggered by something that reminds you of the traumatic event. Flashbacks are associated with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTSD is an anxiety disorder that can develop after an individual experiences an extreme trauma. PTSD requires treatment from a mental health professional.

For five years you’ve attempted to manage your symptoms but now they are getting worse. You are having nightmares and believe that you are hallucinating. It’s important to be evaluated by a mental health professional. A mental health professional can determine if you have PTSD and effectively treat your symptoms. Your symptoms require professional help.

Rape is a very serious crime. Depending on the state in which you live, perpetrators can be prosecuted years after a rape has been committed. If you have not reported this crime to your parents or the authorities then you should. Work with a mental health professional who can assist you with the reporting process. These issues require immediate professional intervention. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice