Is Something Wrong with Me?

Hi, I don’t know whether I am just reading too much into things or whether there actually is something wrong with me. I have noticed that I am very sad quite often I have also noticed that I tend to fidget a lot and cannot stay quite for long, I also have mood swings very regularly where I will be completely fine and then get really moody with friends and family for no reason. I get stressed out a lot over the smallest of things and cannot get anything done as I get too easily distracted. I have a very short attention span and cant spend much time on things before I get bored and give up, I tend to space out a lot as well and just snap back into reality after about 10 minutes which makes concentrating in class very hard. I also used to have tendencies to become very violent and lash out at people for no reason. I am not sure whether this is normal or not and whether I am just getting worked up over nothing but these symptoms have been going on for about 7 years now and don’t think that is normal to have felt this way for so long, so I am asking you to get a professional view on this as I don’t want to mention it to my parents just in case they tell me I am being silly and there is nothing wrong with me

A: Seven years is a very long time to be worried about something. I can’t offer a diagnosis on the basis of a letter. But I can tell you that the distractability and fidgeting is consistent with ADHD. The moodiness may have more to do with your age than a mental illness. But, again, I can’t really make an assessment via email. A professional who can talk to you and get to know you can be much more helpful.

I suggest you share your letter and this response with your parents. Sometimes worrying about something can be as distressing as the original problem. Ask them to help you make some appointments to help you understand yourself better.

I suggest you first see your physician to make sure that everything is fine physically. The teen years are a time of enormous physical growth and change. Sometimes it takes awhile for the body to adjust. If everything checks out medically, then see a mental health professional for an assessment. When you know what you are dealing with, you and your parents can make informed decisions about what to do to make life a bit easier for you to manage.