What’s Wrong With Me?

I live a pretty normal life.. i wake up go to school like any other person my age.. but i think i have a serious problem.. at first i thought it was my imagination, then when it got worse over the years i started to worry. i live in an imaginary world.. where i am Ashley.. a SUPERSTAR with the perfect life, perfect friends and perfect husband.. I’m turning 17 this year and on the same day, Ashley is turning 19… she doesn’t know what shes doing yet but she knows she wants to spend it with *F* her true love.. when certain events happen in my life, similar events happen in Ashley’s, for example, when i was a groomsman at my aunts wedding 2 years ago… Ashley was getting married in the most glamorous ceremony. whenever i enter into a relationship.. i have trouble staying in that relationship because it feels as if im cheating on *F* and Ashley. i gave conversations in my head with people who ARE NOT there.. my situation is so bad that i long to be in this world and get depressed when it hits me that i dont live in it. Ashley is by my side right now watching me type this… i feel trapped..
please help

A. Sometimes, people will create an imaginary world when they are experiencing distress in their lives. It’s much easier to live in an imaginary world when one’s reality is painful. It’s a form of escapism. Some people are also prone to fantasies.

You seem to have difficulty, at least on some occasions, distinguishing reality from non-reality. You have an emotional reaction to events that happen in your imaginary world. It’s not healthy, and it’s a sign of a potential problem, when you feel trapped or feel that you no longer know what is real. The fantasy world is also preventing you from developing relationships. It’s hurting you.

It was wise to have made this inquiry about a potential psychological issue. My recommendation would be to see a therapist. It’s important to stay grounded in reality and a therapist can assist you with this. A therapist can also analyze why it is that you feel more comfortable in the fantasy world than in the real world. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice Blog