How Do I Deal with My Boyfriend’s PTSD?

I’ve been with my bf now for 6 months but we’ve known each other for much longer. My question is how do I get through his bad anxiety-ridden days when he can barely get through them. He has ptsd and generalized anxiety but some days he’s able to function perfectly and other times he is an emotional wreck. He takes medication but When he has a bad day he won’t sleep for an entire day sometimes 2 days straight. He talks constantly and gets really upset if I don’t listen to him but sometimes I just want him to give me some space. I want to support him because I love him for who he is even with the illness but sometimes I just don’t know what to do for him or me and our relationship. Can it work and What can I do that will help him and me?

A: I appreciate how difficult it must be to be so close to someone with PTSD. But the very short answer is that medicine is likely not to be help enough. I would highly recommend an EMDR therapist be sought out as this is now one of the best treatments for PTSD available. You may also want to have some couples counseling. Please use the find help tab at the top of the page to locate someone in your area with this expertise.