Hearing Voices

I have voices in my head often ordering me to do things and telling me what to do, or they talk about what I’m doing. I don’t feel comfortable speaking to my family, my mom will think I’m just misguided. I am described as cold and blank, and even my close friends have admitted to knowing almost nothing about me. Whenever I am distressed everything is always internal and kept inside me and never out to other people. I have a constant paranoia of getting injured, hurting someone else, being mugged or robbed. I often can’t carry on with things and am distracted. I have very violent thoughts and can be very violent. I don’t feel comfortable writing this and am hiding it from my parents. I regularly tense up and then almost “spasm”. I speak little about myself because I am worried that someone will blackmail me with what I have said. I feel very scared writing this.

A. Whenever someone is experiencing voices, they should be evaluated by a mental health professional. It’s abnormal to hear voices and may indicate that a psychological problem is present.

It’s also concerning that you are feeling paranoid so much so that you are frightened about writing this letter. In reality, there is nothing to be afraid of. No one is out to get you. No one is attempting to blackmail you. It can seem that way but that doesn’t mean it’s true. When we are having emotional distress, we often misperceive things.

Like the voices, your paranoia is also suggestive of a psychological problem.You think your parents will see you as “misguided” if you reveal these problems to them but your prediction might be wrong. They’ll probably be concerned and want to help.

It was a wise decision to contact a mental health professional about your symptoms. It’s the first step to getting help. The next steps include reporting your symptoms to your parents and asking them to take you to a mental health professional. If they don’t believe you, then show them my response to your letter. It’s confirmation that your concerns are valid.

Finally, please don’t ignore your symptoms. Treatment could help tremendously and prevent the development of additional psychological issues. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice