Adolescent Curiosity or Worse?

This is really hard for me to talk about, but ever since I was 12 I’ve been sexually interest to animals (dogs in particular) I know this is wrong and I hate myself for it. I find myself dreaming about sex with dogs, and surfing the internet for bestiality videos. Now, I volunteer at a Animal Shelter (For my Honors Club, I was volunteered by the coordinator and I had no say) and I never look at a dog and say “Oh that dog is hot” or ” I want to have sex with that pup” and That doesn’t seem to fit the zoophilia prophile (according to the internet at least) I just wanted to know if this is just my adolescent curiosity or is a fetish? If it is a fetish, should I tell my parents and seek help?

A. I wouldn’t characterize your sexual feelings for animals as “adolescent curiosity.” It’s an unusual interest. Giving your expressed sexual interest in animals, it would be best for you, at least temporarily, to remove yourself from situations in which you are interacting with animals. I would also advise against viewing any sexual content that involves animals. Being in the presence of animals, and viewing content of a sexual nature that involves animals, may be reinforcing your sexual interest. In other words, it may be making it stronger. Avoid any activity that is reinforcing your sexual interest in animals.

Yes, you should ask your parents to assist you in beginning counseling. Your sexual interest in animals is unhealthy and requires treatment. Any contact of a sexual nature with animals is also illegal.

It would be a good idea to have an evaluation by a trained professional. Remember, you haven’t done anything wrong. You are only having fantasies. Techniques to end those fantasies are available and your therapist can guide you.

I’m sure it wasn’t easy to ask this question and I commend you for being open to seeking treatment. Psychotherapy could extinguish your interest in animals. That should be the goal. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice Blog