Not Getting Along with My Boyfriend

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about a year. We’ve been through a lot but always found a way to work things out. Our biggest problem I believe is communication and my insecurities. We have taken some big steps recently. We both have children and introduced them to each other a few weeks ago. He has also met my father and my son’s father. However, I have yet to meet his parents. Sometimes that bothers me because it makes me feel like I’m not good enough in his eyes. Recently I stayed the night with him and everything was fine until the early morning. He got up around 4-5 and just left the room. I was just laying there wondering if I did something. He comes back in about an hour or two and lays back down. At this point I had to get up to go to work. I was very upset and just left without saying a word. We had had a heated discussion via text that morning but nothing was resolved. I have not heard from him since. I am unsure of what course of action I should take? Should I reach out to him or let him be?

A: Reach out. When couples go to the next level of intimacy and inclusion many dynamics are activated and fears can be aroused. The key is to talk, not text, about it. Sit down and begin talking about what you need and want from the relationship. I would do this sooner rather than later. You may want to find a couples therapist to help you through this. Check the find help tab at the top of this page to find one in your area.