Hate Sharing My GP with My Cousin

In year 12 of high school I took my cousin to my GP as she did not have a doctor. I have had the same doctor since I was 15 but for some reason I hate that my cousin sees the same doctor as me, even though I took her there to begin with. I was close to my cousin and helped her through a lot, but we drifted apart as she was very belittling of me and always made my confidence take a dive. I have also spent the last ten yrs in and out of hospital for multiple shunt revisions, now my family treats me like I am a child, the only person who supports me and doesn’t treat me that way is my GP, I liked the fact when I saw my doctor I was not relying on anyone else and we have a great friendship (she is a mother of 2 kids), but I don’t know why I get so jealous that my cousin sees her too. Seeing as I took her there in the first place? I have tried talking to my cousin but she just yells all the time. What can I do?

A: Since your GP is so close I would talk to her about the dilemma. She is likely to have had dealings with this type of issue and may have a creative solution – like perhaps having your cousin see a colleague.

The point here is that you need to talk about this with someone and your GP has been your go-to person for a while. I would draw on this relationship.