Nobody Listens to Me

My parents are abusive to me. If I say something wrong or do something wrong in their eyes, I get beat up. I have friends at school who are kind of there to help me, but they don’t quite understand. I don’t feel like I can talk to many people because I don’t like sympathy. My friends always ask me why I act so tough about everything, and I try to tell them that it’s my way of hiding my pain. I don’t like to talk to anyone, so I write it down. I can’t talk to anyone about my problems.
1. I’m constantly abused.
2. I’ve almost been sexually abused.
3. I get into fights a lot because I’m by myself a lot.
4. I’m misunderstood by everyone.

I don’t know what to do. Advice?

A: I’m going to give you the same advice your good friends give you. Stop acting tough and start getting some help. No kid deserves to be beaten, to be threatened with sexual abuse or to be on her own at 13. You can’t take care of yourself, no matter how tough you try to be. You need to be protected. You deserve to grow up in a place that is safe.

Even though you don’t like to talk about your problems, it really is what you need to do. You made a good start by “talking” to us here at PsychCentral. Now take it a step further and talk to a favorite teacher or a counselor or nurse at school. If you are too shy to tell them what is going on, you could show them your letter and this response. They know who to call to help you.

In the meantime, you do need someone to talk to who can encourage you. I suggest you get on the phone to the Boys and Girls Town hotline. There are counselors there 24/7 to help kids like you figure out what to do. You don’t have to tell them your name or anything about yourself until you are ready to. Their number is 800-448-3000. For more information, check out their website.

Please reach out for some help. You deserve a better life.