Not only did a psychiatrist tell me that he believes that I have multiple personality disorder but a lot of my past experiences and my symptoms add up. My mom thinks I’m Crazy to think I have this but she doesn’t really know. When I was seven or eight my “cousin” sexually abused me as well as my other cousins. He wasn’t a blood cousin he was by marriage. Anyway not long after that my parents went through a nasty divorce not to mention I’ve grown up with a handicapped older brother that I’ve always felt like I needed to protect. Right now in my life I’ve got a lot going for me but I’m depressed still. I also feel like most of my past is a huge blur I can’t remember anything. I find it hard to concentrate and I’ve heard things, voices in my head but it hasn’t happened for awhile. I get extremely angry over stupid things like loud noises, my brothers voice, I can’t think of anything else right now. Ever since I was little I have imagined horrible things happening to people I love like in full detail. I think about cutting myself all of the time an I don’t really have a reason to do it. Please if you could tell me anything useful, your opinion on all that I just typed I would be forever grateful.

A. Dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a controversial diagnosis. The controversy has existed for decades and will not be resolved in the near future. Though it remains a diagnosis in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual For Mental Health Disorders (DSM), some clinicians deny its existence. DID may be the most poorly understood mental health disorder. Part of the reason may be that researchers are reluctant to study DID. It may also be that the government is often unwilling to fund DID research efforts. The end result is a lack of clarity and consensus about DID among mental health professionals.

You stated that you have a legitimate reason to believe that you have DID but did not provide the reason in your letter. Perhaps you are referring to the fact that a psychiatrist believes it’s a possibility. Your symptoms include depression, inability to recall past memories, inability to concentrate, hearing voices, engaging in self-injury, and being angry. Most are not the symptoms associated with DID per se. They may be symptoms of depression or a combination of other mental health disorders but they are not characteristic any one specific type of mental illness.

The symptoms you have are concerning. They are disrupting your life and thus require treatment. It would be advantageous to see both a psychotherapist and a psychiatrist. A psychotherapist could help you to develop the skills necessary to appropriately cope with your symptoms. Medication could decrease the frequency and the intensity of your symptoms.

The good news is that you have already begun treatment with a psychiatrist. Continue with that treatment and consider the addition of psychotherapy. Combining both psychotherapy and medication could greatly improve the quality of your life. Please take care.