Unsolved Problem

I have never been to a therapist before because I always thought that it would be better if I can get better on my own or with the help of friends or family … However, I have been having a problem for three to four years now. I tried to get through but I could not … I tried to speak with the closest people to me but I felt that they did not understand even though they have tried … Some of them tried very hard actually and the fact that they have been trying helped me but my problem was not solved! Mainly, it is not a psychological problem but it started to cause psychological problems ever-since. Now I feel awful most of the time and I have lost joy in a lot of things that seemed to matter a lot to me before … I think I might have depression but I am not sure … I have taken quizzes on the internet and they show that I should consult a therapist … My main question is: Can therapy really help me if the reason to my problem is not solved?

A: I am glad you are thinking about therapy, and are questioning its effectiveness. Like medicine, psychotherapy is both an art and a science. We have many studies that show the usefulness of various psychotherapy approaches. Therapeutic interventions have been researched and have been shown to be effective, but the way in which these techniques and interventions involve the personality, delivery style and training of the therapist also matters. We also know that some of the best therapeutic gain happens when there is a good therapeutic relationship between the client and the therapist. My advice is to get some referrals from people you know and trust. Use our “find help” tab at the top of the page.