I Am Dreaming The Future

About a year or two ago, I started to perceive what I thought to be speculation on my part as to what the future would hold in my dreams. Like conversations that I would have with my friends. But then they started to happen. I was able to quote what my friends would say before they would say it.

This problem is truly beginning to scare me, and has caused me many problems with retaining friendships and relationships. Recently, I was also diagnosed with a major case of Schizophrenia, and I have been on meds for it, but the dreams won’t stop. I don’t know if I am hallucinating or if I am demented, or if I really can tell the future. Can you help me?

A. What complicates this situation is the fact that you have schizophrenia. Schizophrenia tricks the mind into believing things that are not true. I’m not suggesting that having schizophrenia discredits your assertion about predicting the future, but it is possible that you are misinterpreting the predictions, which may be hallucinations.

The best way to determine if your dreams are accurate would be to write them down as they occur and to compare them to future events. Having your predictions in writing before a possible event will allow you to know whether you’re indeed predicting the future. However, I would not recommend doing this alone. You should do this in tandem with a mental health professional who can help you to determine what is real and what is not. It is always important to be grounded in reality and a therapist could assist you. If you’re not in contact with a mental health professional, then you should be. It is always wise after being diagnosed with a serious mental illness to undergo psychological treatment and not just medication alone. Please keep me posted on your progress. Please take care.