Am I a Sociopath?

I’m 16 and I just wanted to know what’s wrong with me. I get really irritated at small issues. People seem to be dumb and inferior to me. I don’t have emotions for people. I don’t cry or feel bad for someone in pain. I like hurting animals especially insects and feel that they are useless creatures. I do get into fights particularly when someone makes fun of me. please help

A: I don’t know if you are a sociopath. I do know that you are feeling very, very hurt. You only gave me a little to go on but you did say that people make fun of you. If you have been bullied a lot, it is not surprising that you sometimes want to hurt back. You might think it will help. It won’t. All it will do is spread the hurt around to more people. What will help is learning more about the effects of bullying and what you can do about it. There are many articles in the PSychCentral library that can help you better understand yourself – and the bullies.

I also hope you can enlist the support and practical help of your parents and some of your teachers. No one should worry about regularly being made fun of. Sometimes something can be done about the situation. Sometimes, it’s better to start over in a new school. Your self-esteem has taken a beating. A few sessions with a therapist may help you reclaim a more positive sense of yourself and your compassion toward others.