Always Angry, Irritable

I am so desperate to figure out why I’m always irritable, angry, annoyed, and short tempered. I have 2 small children 3 and 5.I work outside the home in marketing and really like what I do.I love my job.I get angry at my live in partner(children’s dad), I get angry at my kids for almost everything they do. Him and I fight a lot and I sometimes blame the fights for my mood swings but I have been like this for as long as I remember.I don’t feel depressed since I don’t feel sadness, it’s just a constant bad attitude all the time. I yell, slam doors, curse, and sabotage myself. HELP! what do you think t is?

A: I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a letter but I can tell you that the behavior you report is consistent with depression. Depression doesn’t always show up as sadness. Some people with depression are irritable and angry. The anger can be directed at oneself or it can be directed at others or the situation that is contributing to the depression. In your case, you may be finding it hard to balance your home life with your work life. It may also be that your realtionship is in more trouble than you have wanted to admit.

Untreated, angry depression may traumatize your kids and jeopardize your relationship. Iit can also result in doing poorly at work and losing your motivation. It’s not unusual for a peson to have difficulty sleeping, to lose appetite for food and sex, and to generally stop caring about things that at one time were pleasurable in life.

Please make an appointment with a mental health provider to get a real diagnosis and suggestions for how to reclaim your happiness and your life. You and your family deserve better than your angry self.