I Don’t Feel Like Myself Anymore

Recently ive been under a lot of pressure from filling out college applications, failing two of my classes, and swimming 6 days a week. I thought i would get better after i finished my applications and got my grades up but i just feel worse. Im always angry when im around my friends and whenever im alone i feel depressed. I feel like quiting everything just because i think that it will make everything go away. Im not sure whats going on. Ive tried talking to my parents and friends but no one seems to understand what im going through. I just feel so depressed and angry all the time for what seems like so reason. On some days, for no reason, ill be in a good mood but it instantly goes away the following day and everyone seems to be pushing me away and its getting to the point where im not sure what to do anymore.

A. You’re under a lot of pressure. Feeling depressed and angry are possibly the result of your current stress. Applying to college can be stressful. The act of filling out college applications might solidify the reality that in the very near future, your life is going to change. Completing college applications means you are essentially “putting it in writing” that you will be leaving your home, your family and your friends. Anticipating such a major life change might be causing you more stress than you realize.

Failing two classes is obviously problematic. It could derail your college plans. Your parents are likely upset that you are not passing. The added pressure of having to attend swim practice almost every day may simply be too much for you to handle at this time. It is important to recognize your limits.

Is there anyone with whom you could confide about how you are feeling? Is there a mentor, a guidance counselor, a trusted teacher, caregiver or parent in whom you trust? It can be highly liberating to discuss your fears and frustrations with a trusting, caring objective party.

If your symptoms persist, consult a mental health professional. A psychotherapist could help you to develop problem-solving skills that could positively affect the quality of your life and improve your mood. A few sessions with a trained psychotherapist might be all that is needed to help you get through this difficult time in your life.