Confront my Stepmother?

I have anger and sadness, and my parents’ actions don’t help nor do my medications. When I was younger, I was diagnosed with PTSD because of physical and sexual abuse I received as a child. Now-a-days, I am on 15mg of Abilify and 10mg of Lexapro for PTSD and Major Depressive Distorter. But I am still extremely irritable and I often think of self mutilation, once again (I had self mutilated as a younger teen). I don’t know what my life is meant for, nor do I know why I was even born. Sometimes I don’t care. My step-mother really grinds my nerves. She always makes me feel awful for getting angry and so does my grandmother and dad. Every blow up is totally my fault, never any of theirs. Not even a little. I don’t know what to do about this, if I need more medication or if I need to swallow my fear and confront my step-mother about how I feel. Thanks

A: I am so sorry this happened to you and that you have to cope with this. I admire your courage in coping with these symptoms and personalities. I would strongly encourage you to do two things: First, I would take advantage of the fact that you are in college and go to the college counseling center and see if they have individual and group therapy. You didn’t mention that you are in therapy and I think both individual and group would be very important for you to get the support you need. Second, I would also talk to the counselors at the college about some relatively new treatments for PTSD (e.g., EMDR) so you can learn as much about the process and support needed in recovery as possible.