What Topics Can I Cover in Therapy?

I have my first post-screening counseling session tomorrow (I’m going for anxiety and depression not related to the relationship). One of the things I want to bring up is getting my ex back. Can my counselor give me advice on these kinds of things? What kind of questions should I ask, and what should I expect? I have weighed the positives and negatives of the past relationship and would be willing to discuss anything my counselor would want to know more about.

A: A counselor is unlikely to give you direct advice about how to live your life or how to get your ex back. What a counselor will do is help you explore what you want and the positives and negatives of going for it. I know you’ve already done a lot of soul searching. But chances are your therapist will have some questions you haven’t thought of since she’s talked to many, many people about such issues.

Please don’t worry so much about what questions to ask. All you need to do is bring up a topic and share what you’ve thought about so far. Once you and your counselor start talking, she’ll help you figure out what you want to work on.

I’m very glad you are going for some counseling. Although medication can certainly help with anxiety and depression, people tend to get the best results when they participate in talk therapy as well.