Not Sure What I May Have

For the past year or two, everything has seemed fake (buildings, people…) I did not know why but everyday I tried questioning it and it seemed to have gotten worse. I am at the point now where I rarely feel any emotion towards anything, and if I do I am upset that I had the feeling. My traits seem to be more towards schizophrenia though as far as I know I don’t have voices in my head (or at least not with names or characteristics.) I am just wanting to know if I should see someone, and what to tell them, because it seems that this behavior is servility affecting my health. (Also, I don’t believe it is depersonalization disorder based on the fact that I have no feelings or intentions to do anything.) It is weird for me to ask this because I don’t want to get attention or take up someone’s time, but I can’t go through a day without questioning every second. The worst part is that I am not sure if I am just making things up. (Like I want for this to happen.)

A. With regard to aspects of your life feeling “fake,” I would need more information to know what you meant by that expression. You also mentioned that you rarely feel emotion but that you become upset when you have “that feeling.” That statement needs further clarification. It isn’t possible to “not feel emotion” but then to “feel the emotion of being upset” (about the fact that you lack emotion).

I would suggest having a mental health evaluation. Having concerning symptoms that are disrupting your life means that something may be wrong. The sooner that you are evaluated, the sooner you can begin treatment, if necessary. Help is available but you must make the decision to receive it.

Finally, try not to be concerned about “taking up someone’s time.” Mental health is as important as physical health and if there’s a problem, then it needs to be addressed. It is always wise to consult a mental health professional when you’re experiencing psychological symptoms. Please take care.