Post-Surgery Depression

Hi, I just had Jaw arthroplasty surgery 11 days ago. Lately I’ve been crying everyday and just been sad a lot. I’ve been insecure about the scar I have now and the part of my hair the doctor had to shave, it’s under my hair though. I haven’t been up for anything. I canceled on some friends and just lay in my bed cry and want to be alone. I don’t know what’s going on, I wasn’t like this before the surgery. Also I’m worried about going back to school on Monday (my school has nearly 4000 students). I’ve just been feeling overwhelmed. What should I do? Is it normal to feel this way?

A: This is a major surgery and it would make sense that you would have some adjustment time. I would have your parents contact the surgeon and explain what is happening. Often hospitals have follow-up counseling or medicine that can help with the uncomfortable anxiety. This would certainly be normal and my guess is that they will be able to help.