Nightmares

I’ve been having nightmares for two years now… At first it was the same two over and over every night for about a month. Then I wrote it down and one of them stop but now I just get new ones. At first, I thought I had these nightmares because of The Crash, but I’m pretty much over it, I don’t cry when I talk about it anymore. Plus, the recurring one I can’t get to stop have nothing to do with the crash.
All of my nightmares have something to do with it except that one. It’s about sexual abuse and it’s the same guy every time. I’m scared it’s real, but I don’t have a memory of anything or anyone like that. Any advice on how do get rid of these or find out why I have the weird one?

A: I am sorry you are going through so much turmoil with these nightmares. Nightmares, particularly recurring ones, can be hard to cope with and difficult to curtail, but you have done well with the one. Now let’s see what we can do with the other.

The fact that it isn’t about the movie and has an invasive sexual element must be very uncomfortable for you to manage. While it does not mean you were abused, the nightmare is trying to get your attention. What we don’t know is why.

I would ask your parents to set up a counseling session for you with someone who has experience working with people your age. He or she has experience in working with these kinds of nightmares and may be able to help.

In the meantime you may want to talk to your counselor at school. It is likely he or she can guide you, or recommend someone who can help figure out what is going on.