Getting Help without Money

By Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

I am in need of therapy. I have no money and I do not know what to do. I self injury and often times think horrible thoughts. I want help but dont know how.

A: It’s a terrible feeling to know you need help but don’t know where to turn. Fortunately, you are in college. Please check to see if your school’s health services offers free counseling to students. Many schools do. Meanwhile, if you need someone to talk to, you can always call the Boys Town Hotline: 800-448-3000. Counselors are there 24/7 to talk to young people who are upset or troubled. Although started for boys, they now welcome calls from girls as well. The service is free.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie




Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 30 Oct 2012

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2012). Getting Help without Money. Psych Central. Retrieved on December 21, 2014, from