Can a Person with Childhood Disabilities be Helped as an Adult?

A cousin of mine, who is 20 years old girl is mentally challenged from her childhood, it is so irritating, she used to irritate the whole family. Although she is 20 years old but she used to behave like a 10 or 12 year girl. What to do with her?

Is there is any treatment which can treat her / help her to became a normal person?

A: People with intellectual disabilities can lead a very productive social and work life with the proper guidance. I encourage you to bring her to the family physician for an evaluation as to best meet her needs. Her school can also help.

I am the coauthor of the American Psychological Association’s first book on psychotherapy for people with intellectual disabilities. If you would like to learn more about it you may click here.