I Think I May be Schizophrenic

Ok well i’m 14 and have been diagnosed with Ocd in the past, but now i have weird symptoms sometimes i feel like something is watching me. Second i hear and see things that are not really there. Lastly sometimes i know when things are going to happen its very weird i get like a sixth sense on when something is going to happen. Im always think about death im depressed and sometimnes no. I have anxeity, but im not suicidal i love life for the most part can you please help.

A: The only help I can offer you is to tell you to see someone who can really help you. Yes, some of what you are describing could be symptoms of schizophrenia. But there are other physical and mental disorders that can create the same kinds of things. Ask your folks to see that you have an appointment with your medical doctor for a complete physical checkup first. Be sure to tell your doctor what you’ve told me. Don’t accept an immediate referral to a psychiatrist. Make sure other medical issues are checked out. If you are 100 percent physically okay, then make an appointment to see a mental health counselor for an evaluation. Someone who can spend an hour or so with you can get the complete picture and will have enough to go on to make an accurate diagnosis. That’s important. The diagnosis is what determines what treatment might be most helpful. You want a good diagnosis so you get the right treatment.

I hope you have the kind of parents who will take your distress seriously and who will help you get to the professionals who can help you figure things out. If not, talk to your school counselor about whether there is a clinic that serves teens in your area.