Psych Central

Don’t Know What To Do With My Life

I’m a 21 year old African American male from Chicago, IL. I’m contacting you today is because like many other people I really have no idea what i wanna do with my life. I am very creative, I really wanna help people, and wanna make a lot of money doing so. It’s times where I just walk or run for hours thinking of stuff to do I mean I have a mind set of some things I would love to do but I’m young so I’m stuck in the get rich quick, and everybody has to see me be flashy. I really need some type of help i wanna make a defference in the world I just dont know where to start or how to go about doing it.

A. You mentioned that you want to make a lot of money and that you are “stuck in the get rich quick” mindset. Generally speaking, there are not many professions in which one can “get rich quick.” You may notice that many individuals who make the claim that it’s easy to “get rich quick” are attempting to sell you their “secrets.” They prey on people looking for an easy way to make quick cash. Those individuals make their “easy money” by convincing people that they will teach them the “secret” to getting rich, if you just buy their product or service. In virtually every case, those individuals have no secrets to share. They simply prey on the disadvantaged.

Ideally, individuals should be motivated by the desire to improve the world rather than by greed. Understandably, individuals want a career in which they can make money, enough to earn a stable, comfortable living and to provide for their families, but money should not be the only motivating factor when choosing a profession.

I would encourage you to explore and research your career interests. For instance, you stated that you want to “help people.” Does that mean that you are interested in the counseling profession? If so, there is a great deal of information about what it takes to be a therapist, what qualities make a better therapist, and so forth.

Is there a mentor with whom you can speak to about these issues? A teacher you admire? A relative with whom you feel comfortable sharing your personal thoughts? Speaking to those individuals might help to uncover the career you’d be best suited for.

Another way to explore your likes and dislikes is to take classes on subjects that interest you. You can also meet with individuals who work in a particular profession. If you are attending college, the career counseling center on campus might offer job shadowing programs, in which you can spend the day with someone who works in a particular profession. Career counseling centers also offer standardized tests which can assist students with identifying their career matches.

Please take care.