Unsure What’s Going On

Well I have been suffering from severe mood swings. I will go from being happy to being sad for no apparent reason. I can’t stand to be alone because it makes my mind wonder and I start to have suicidial thoughts. I have recently harmed myself. I have the worse mood swings and its gotten out of hand. Im not sure if its maybe bipolar disorder or Im depressed. My sleep patterns change every week and so do my eating habits. I get angry over little things. I recently got a negative counsling because I talked back to my commander, which is out of character for me. Im not sure whats going on with me or whats happening in my head but Im not sure who I should talk to because Im not sure whats going on with me. Ive had a severe background with abuse physically and verbally. Ive had a drinking problem and a drug problem. Ive self harmed and had a eating disorder. I have also tried to kill myself. Can you help me figure who I need to see to help myself probably before I end up getting into a lot of trouble.

A. I would encourage you to see a mental health professional. Your behavior is endangering your career in the military.

Many people in the military would like to seek the assistance of a mental health professional but are worried about how it may affect their future career. If that is a concern, then I would suggest seeing a mental health professional outside of the military. You must do what is necessary to properly address your mental health concerns.

Given your mental health status at this time, I would encourage you to see a mental health professional, whether inside the military or outside, as soon as possible. Don’t ignore these problems or believe that they will simply go away on their own. Ignoring these problems will only make them worse. I hope that you will take the appropriate action and see a mental health professional immediately. Please take care.