Figuring Out Diagnosis

I was diagnosed at the age of 16 with Borderline personality disorder and PTSD. I have always struggled with addiction and self injury. I am all over the map and have two doctors telling me different things and I’m not sure where to go. one believes I have depression on top of my other disorders and has put me on medication since I was about 14 years old. I started a DBT program for people with BPD in April and my doctor there doesn’t agree with my other doctor who has known me for years. I suffer from hallucinations, flashbacks, nightmares, anxiety, suicidal thoughts/attempts and mood swings. is medication right for me? I am currently on 3 medications but they do not work anymore causing me to over use. two weeks ago I was in the hospital and taken off all my medication and had an even harder time coping. how do I know what is really going on with me? I’ve been trying for over a year to get clean and mentally stable but am unable to get well. my thoughts are always racing and I’m not sure what to do anymore. I need help but feel as though my doctors don’t understand and I am being miss diagnosed. I feel I am falling further down and am scared. What would be the best step for me? how can I best deal with my negative thoughts? I have been unable to work since March of this year due to my mental health.

A: First let me say how much I admire your courage and resilience in dealing with this condition and process of treatment. I wish I had an easy answer to all of what you are experiencing, but what I do have is a thought about how to approach this. With so much going on and so many conflicting opinions I would talk to each of your providers about finding a residential treatment facility for a period of time to get everything sorted out. Good facilities with experienced professional exist and you can involve your healthcare professionals in determining if a facility could be helpful, and if so for how long.