Anxiety, Depression, Feeling Out of Control

I am very concerned. I just went through a lonely year at school because I was a new kid and made very little friends. I shut people out and got depressed and even ended up getting jumped which made things worse. I usually dont have this problem and am very happy. However its now summer and I’m depressed as a new school year gets closer. Just a few days ago I started feeling very nostalgic, depressed, ashamed of myself, and very anxious. Little things make me feel very impatient. I have racing, anxious thoughts. I cry very easily. I feel diconnected to those around me and crave their company. I feel a little like I am losin g my mind and control. Is this normal for someone who just went through an emotionally tolling time or is there something wrong with me?

A. There may not be anything “wrong” with you in terms of having a serious mental health condition. Your current emotional reaction makes sense, given your experience in school last year. You don’t want to go to school because you had such a difficult time. Almost anyone who experienced what you have would have negative feelings about school.

The fact that you have “shut people out of your life” and then become depressed is a potential problem. Another potential issue is that it seems as though you have no one with whom you can discuss your feelings. Having that outlet and support would very much benefit you.

I would encourage you to discuss these matters with your parents. Tell them about your fears with regard to school. Perhaps they can help you to resolve this problem before school resumes. If not, maybe they can schedule an appointment for you with a mental health professional. This could help you to deal with your concerns.

The bottom line is that you should not keep these problems a secret. You should discuss these matters with people you trust. They may be able to assist you but they certainly cannot if you don’t open up to them. Often, problems seem insurmountable, when in reality they are easily corrected with the assistance of supportive friends, family or a mental health professional. Please take care.