Mired in Depression

I’m 61yrs and have basically suffered with depression all my life due to childhood abuse and rape. I’ve suffered mostlly the last 13yrs. I’ve been given many antidepressants. Nothing seems to help or only helps for a short time. My Doctor says I need to work on my depression more. To get out of the house,do volunteer work and keep busy. I’ve tried but everytime I do get out or get busy I seem worse. People don’t really like to be around my because I’m so down. I can’t get out of it. I lay and cry most of the time. If getting out is supose to help why am I still on antidepressants. I’m afraid my doctor will quit me because I’m having such a hard time getting outand getting busy.
Being on the computer is the only way I feel like I can escape for a while. I’m desparate to get well. This is not living.

A: I’m so sorry you have been suffering for so long. It’s clear that medication alone, in your case, isn’t enough. I strongly urge you to do two things. First, see your medical doctor for a complete medical workup. Sometimes a medical problem is at the root of a depression. You want to be sure that you aren’t ignoring an important physical issue.

Second, please see a psychotherapist. The treatment of choice for most people who suffer from depression is a combination of talk therapy and medicine. Medicine can take the edge off but therapy is what will help you learn how to cope and how to find the energy to do all the healthy things your doctor is suggesting.