I’m Happy but I Have Strange Thoughts

I am 13 and I’m happy but have strange thouts, suicidal and stuff. I am sorta scared but i DO LOVVe LIFE? What is wrong with me?

A: There’s probably nothing “wrong” with you. You are 13. It’s a time when kids begin to ask the big questions about life and death and meaning and relationships and everything else. People who are smart and sensitive and curious about life often explore all sorts of things that are strange or different or even scary. It’s part of figuring out who you are, what you want out of life, and what possibilities are available to you. You will discard some of the ideas. You’ll decide to go after others. All this is entirely normal.

What is sad to me is that there are so few places where a teen can talk about these things without being worried about being judged and criticized. I hope you have parents you can talk to. I hope your best friends are the kind of people who can share what they are thinking without worrying that it will be all over the school in the next 10 minutes. If you are a person of faith, I hope your church has a youth group that offers a sanctuary for exploring your innermost thoughts and feelings. If you don’t have any of those places to do safe exploration, I hope you can find a school counselor or therapist to talk to.

Do keep exploring. It’s the only way to figure out who you are.