Believing and Disbelieving Delusions

Hi, I have delusions that I believe in (for example if I get stressed about something in life I tend to believe in some “delusional thoughts” that I have, for example that some people in my family are alien/gods from outer space.

When I’m feeling normal or happy I tend to believe in the delusions a lot less than usual, sometimes I feel confident enough to not believe in them at all. What type of disorder do I have? Thanks for your time!

A. It is difficult to determine what disorder, if any, you may have. If I interviewed you in person, I would want to know more information about your delusions such as: how often do they occur? How much do they interfere with your life? What type of stressful event “brings on” these delusions? How much do you believe in these delusions when they are active?

Psychotic symptoms are thought to be exacerbated by stress. Your delusions seem to have been brought on by stress. They seem to ultimately diminish once the stress is relieved.

I find it encouraging that when you’re feeling “normal or happy” you are able to think more clearly. You retain the ability to realize that your delusions are not real but this may not always be the case. The concern is that your delusions will grow stronger or more frequent, making it difficult for you to return to a “normal or happy” state.

Having delusions is abnormal. They are a sign of a possible psychological problem. My recommendation is to be evaluated by a mental health professional who can examine your symptoms in more depth. Seeing a mental health professional would be advantageous for multiple reasons but primarily because he or she could assist you in eliminating your delusions. A mental health professional could also refer you to a psychiatrist who could evaluate the need for medication. A low dose of psychiatric medication might eliminate your delusions completely.

Don’t ignore your symptoms. Now is the time to receive help before your symptoms become worse. Please take care.