Can Hear Music & See People Constantly

This started when I was about 14, ever since all I hear is music playing and see people talking and even laughing in my head. I get really paranoid around other people, like for instance if they look a certain way or laugh a certain way I think they can actually hear those voices in my head talking. It does interfere with my daily activities but I can still function a little normal. Is this a sight of a mental illness?

A. Though I cannot know for certain, your symptoms may be indicative of a mental illness. It is abnormal to hear voices and to be paranoid. Your symptoms are particularly concerning because they interfere with your daily activities and only allow you to function “a little normal.” I’m not certain what precisely you meant by “a little normal” but you should be able to fully function, in the absence of psychological symptoms.

If you have not seen a mental health professional, I would strongly advise that you do so. A mental health professional can gather detailed information about your symptoms and make a determination about whether or not you have a mental illness. A mental health professional can also assist you in receiving the proper treatment to deal with your symptoms. Medication may be able to eliminate your voices and your feelings of paranoia. Eliminating your symptoms will significantly improve the quality of your life.

I would also recommend that you have a medical evaluation. There are occasions in which hearing voices, hearing music and feeling paranoid are the result of an organic brain disorder. It is important to be evaluated both medically and psychologically. Speak to your primary care physician, who can likely refer you to the most appropriate professionals to assist you.

Don’t ignore your symptoms or hope that they will “go away.” I hope you’re able to get the help that you desire. Please take care.