Husband’s Infidelity Causing Family Problems

Recently, I found out that my husband was unfaithful. Upon finding out, with his permission, my little girl and I moved out of state for a month to my mother’s home so that I could have some space to think about things and try to determine the best situation for our family. I ended up agreeing to reconcile our marriage. Being from a divorced home myself, I do not want that for our little girl who is only 11 months old. My issue is now, my family wants nothing to do with my husband due to what he has done. My stepfather’s 70th birthday party is coming up in 2 months, and I wanted to go, but my husband wants to go also, and I’m not sure how to approach the situation between the 2. Thank you in advance for any advice that you can offer.

A: This is a relationship that your husband has to fix directly. You can’t patch this up by wishing your family would act differently. I would get out of the way. If this has any chance of reconciliation it will have to be between your husband and your family directly, not mediated by you. It’s not a team effort.