I Feel Alone Almost All The Time

…and i get jealous seeing people in relationships to the point of my stomach hurting.

I don’t know if this is a disorder, so if you could answer it please do. Thank you I appreciate it. I am currently a sophomore in High School. I feel as though that I have friends (many) and hang out during school with them but they never keep in touch with me and contact me to go out somewhere to like see a movie or something… It seems like I always have to ask. And they would say no or they can’t. I feel alone. And in addition to that. When I am at school I constantly see people with their boyfriends and girlfriends kissing and holding hands and i get jealous to the point I walk away depressed and sick to my stomach. I feel like people don’t want to be around me sometimes and that people are staring at me and stuff… I am involved with two clubs but we barely have meetings anymore… I do have occasional people that do care about me but not enough that is a satisfying amount. I just feel alone and not happy all the time. In school I try and talk to people and create excitement but I feel like its just not working for some odd reason… Its just makes me sad and jealous at times… Is there something that I have like a disorder or something please help me!

A. Jealousy is a common emotion. Almost everyone, at some point in their lives, has experienced this feeling. Generally, jealousy by itself is not a symptom of any particular mental health disorder.

I believe that your feelings are relatively common, especially among young adults. It is human nature to want to develop close connections with others. It is likely the reason why social networking is so popular. People have a strong desire to connect with others.

You stated that you feel that people don’t want to be around you. Just because you feel that way does not mean that it is true. Don’t assume that there is something “wrong” with you. It may be that people do want to be around you but lack confidence in their own social skills. Perhaps they are shy or introverted. They may want to connect with you but don’t know what to say or how best to approach social situations.

If possible, you may want to consider joining other groups who are more active. That is a great way to meet new people. You may also want to consider joining other local community groups in an effort to meet new people. If this continues to be a problem, then you may want to consult a therapist. A therapist could objectively evaluate your interactions with others and make suggestions for how to improve your interaction style, if necessary. Please take care.