Social Problems, Clutter and Addiction

I have some behavior issues that are starting to really affect my life. I’m having problems at school, work, home, and socially. I really need some help and I’m sorry for such a long and chaotic post. I’ll try and briefly go over my issues.

I feel like I cannot talk to anyone socially. I can’t connect with someone and don’t know how to talk to them. Most interactions are in awkward silence. I feel like I am so bad at it I just avoid all situations. Its even like this with my parents and my best friend sometimes. I find myself hiding in my room and avoiding everyone. I only have one friend and it feels like I am close to losing him. I also haven’t had a relationship in over five years.

My messiness and lack of motivation for everything is starting to become a problem. My parents are really close to kicking me out because of it. I feel the only reason they don’t is that they fear I will do the same thing by myself and get even worse. At least with me living under there house they can watch out for me. Basically, my room and car are always trashed and I’m bad about keeping myself up.

I also feel like I am addicted to everything. I can’t quit cigarettes and smoke way too much. I go on a lot of drug binges and my sleep pattern is super messed up. I drink four or five cups of coffee everyday.

I honestly don’t know what to do. I feel really hopeless and I’m going crazy with internalizing everything. I also feel really embarrassed and don’t know how to approach my parents for help.

A. It seems as though many of the issues you are struggling with are related to anxiety. Your anxiety is significantly degrading your life. If not treated, it may worsen. Avoidance is a strategy that many people use in an attempt to deal with anxiety, but it can backfire. It usually makes the anxiety symptoms worse, not better.

The problems that you are dealing with are correctable in therapy. I would suggest that you consider it. Please don’t be embarrassed to ask for help. Asking for help is a commendable act. It’s a sign that somebody is ready to make a life change for the better. Please take care.