Q: Hello. About four months ago I diagnosed myself with possible anorexia. I skip about 2 meals a day but I eat try to eat a full meal for dinner. I exercise for at least an hour daily. I am 16, my height is 5 foot 9 and my weight is 123 pounds. I want to ask for help from my parents but I am too scared they will be disappointed in me. I also do not think that my disorder is that serious. Should I ask for help?

A: The short answer to your question is “yes.” Yes, you should talk to your parents and get professional help. Generally, people wait too long to seek treatment. Please get an assessment soon. Watch the video below to hear more advice.

Take good care of yourself!

Julie Hanks, LCSW