Could I Be Bipolar?

Hi, I was wondering if I could be bipolar. All I know is, I cannot sleep. Right now it’s 12 30 am, im tired and sleepy but i just don’t feel like sleeping, and this happends every night. Also, i have many episodes of mood swings through the day : this morning I was normal, in the afternoon i got annoyed, then I went out i was so happy, and now i just feel like a trainwreck. Sometimes, i cry for no reason. I live away from my family, so i miss them to death. that drives me insane too. I also panic alot, for simple things like eating 200 calories more than i should have. my heart starts racing and it gets to a point where i can’t breathe. Am i crazy?

A. It is unclear if you have bipolar disorder. Having an in-person evaluation would determine a diagnosis.

Not all symptoms are pathological. In other words, there may be a logical explanation for your symptoms. For instance, you are not sleeping, are having mood swings and are emotionally unstable. The fact that you are not sleeping could lead to mood instability. It could be the direct cause of your mood changes. Determine the reason that you are not sleeping and you may cure your insomnia and thus your mood instability.

Your inability to sleep could be linked to the anxiety you feel about moving away from your family. You did not say why you left home. Perhaps your symptoms are a sign that the move was a bad idea.

You panic about eating more calories than you are comfortable with. The panic leads to physical symptoms. Your physical symptoms might be a response to your not eating properly. I can’t say with certainty what the problem is without many more details.

It is clear that you are suffering. My recommendation is counseling. It could help you to find new and more effective ways to cope with stress and your emotional pressures. Please take care.