Losing Touch with Reality

I think I’m going crazy. I feel like i have split personalities and they change back and forth between emotions. I’m seeing a therapist for anxiety. Sometimes He seems like different people,one minute I feel like he really wants to help me then the next minute I feel like he’s really making fun of me or just seeing me to get a paycheck and that I don’t really need his help. This happens with just about everyone in my life, they seem like they change like they’re different people. I know it’s really me,I think i’m the one who is different people. I’m afraid that my therapist is going to stop seeing me because I can’t keep my emotions straight, and I really need his help because this is happening in every relationship I have. I don’t know how to explain it to him. This is the closest I can come to describing what it’s like to anyone. Is there a name for this besides just going crazy and feeling like I’m losing my mind?

A. I don’t have enough information about your symptoms to know if they match a particular diagnosis. They might be part of your anxiety disorder. Sometimes, individuals who experience anxiety describe feelings similar to yours. Anxiety can be difficult to tolerate. It is quite an unpleasant feeling.

Sometimes you feel as though your therapist wants to help you and other times you feel like he doesn’t. It is uncertain why you feel that way. If you believe that he is not meeting your needs, then it is important to let him know. Without more information, is difficult for me to know if your feelings are justified. Discussing your feelings with your therapist might help to clarify the situation.

I would encourage you to share your concerns with your therapist. You’re worried that he will stop seeing you because you “can’t keep your emotions straight.” That is very unlikely. Your therapist is there to help you.

Opening up in therapy is difficult for many people. Sometimes clients withhold key information about their personal situation that delays the healing process. The more that you share with your therapist, the better he can help you. If you have additional questions, don’t hesitate to write again.