Embarrassed at the Office

I know this is an odd question, but I’m wondering how to deal with the embarrassment of excessive gas within my workplace. Even though my stomach wasn’t bothering me and I didn’t feel myself pass gas, I guess I did and it smelled awful and everyone in the office was horrified, myself included. I didn’t say anything but I was so embarrassed and ashamed that I didn’t go to work the next day and I have no idea how I’m going to show my face and proceed like nothing happened. I’m sure everyone is still talking about it and now I’ll be known as the girl who passes horrific smelling gas and I feel so incredibly anxious that I don’t want to leave my apartment and go back to work. How can I show my face again? I’m so ashamed. It happened completely unintentionally and I get teary-eyed at the thought of having to go back to the office.

A: People will move on to the next thing. You are giving the incident too much power in your life. No one knows for certain it was you, they may feel they were being blamed, and the chances are that it isn’t being talked about at all. It is time to go back, not worry and if the condition persists be sure to have it checked out medically.