Depressed at 11?

My life *was* okay ok guess. But I’m so sad. I feel worthless, I have lost all intrest in everything, I’m eating less,tired constantly and have given up. I feel so low I even thought about talking my own life…and I tried to i slit my wrist-not quite deep enough but so close. I cannot tell my parents. They just don’t get it. I can’t tell anyone. I’m alone. Am I depressed? Please help me.

A. I am very sorry that you are feeling this way. It can be frightening to feel as though you have no one to confide in. I understand that you feel that you can’t tell your parents but you must do it. You should tell your parents. The fact that you have harmed yourself is very concerning. It is a sign of depression. Your situation is a serious matter that demands your parents’ attention.

I have worked with many adolescents who felt alone and felt that they could not tell their parents about their problems. When they finally did speak to their parents, they felt great relief. They were often surprised about how supportive their parents could be. Telling their parents often served as the catalyst to receiving professional treatment.

If speaking to your parents seems frightening, then consider writing them a detailed letter about how you’re feeling. Writing a letter gives you the opportunity to thoroughly explain your feelings. Writing is a great way to express yourself. When discussing sensitive topics, some people feel more comfortable expressing themselves through writing as compared to having a face-to-face interaction. Do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

I hope that you will speak to your parents. Even though you don’t want to do it, I would encourage you to do it anyway. It is the correct way to handle this situation. Please take care.