Mom Isn’t Taking Me Seriously

I’m 14 and I need help in getting my mother to see I really do need help. Mental health is a problem in my family and my mother has talked to her doctor about getting me help but I don’t think she is taking how i feel seriously. Every time I talk to her she just tries to brush it off and I feel that if I go much longer I may break.

A; Thank you for writing. I realize it’s frustrating to feel like you’ve not been heard, especially when you are trying so hard. Sometimes parents have a very hard time accepting that their child has a significant problem. For that reason, I encourage you to enlist the support of another adult. I suggest you talk to your school counselor or school nurse, your religious leader if you have one, or your doctor about how you are feeling and then ask her or him to help you talk to your mother about having a mental health evaluation. They may be more effective in helping your mother understand that the situation is more serious than she thinks. They can also emphasize to her that an evaluation is just that — an evaluation. No one is obligated to do anything. An evaluation is intended to provide us with information about what may be troubling you and recommendations about how best to go forward. You and your mother can then decide what the best course of action might be.