I Really Need More Help Than I Am Getting

I don’t know what to do or how to ask for it. I am 17 years old and I’ve been struggling with depression for 5 years. I started cutting myself when I was 12 and it was a huge problem until I was about 15. After that it was something I would do occasionally when I really needed too. In the last few months my depression and especially anxiety has been at it’s worse. It’s hard for me to get up everyday and go to school. Some days in school I have to go into the bathroom and cry. I see a psychologist and psychiatrist, and I’m on anti depressants. Lately, I’ve just been so overwhelmed with anxiety that I haven’t gone to school. I cut myself today for the first time in months. I don’t want to make it a habit again, and I want help. But every time I try to talk to my parents about how shitty I feel they just tell me to be strong. I try, but I just can’t. Everything is so hard now. I see my psychiatrist in a few days and I wanna ask for help but I’m not sure what to say. Maybe I should go to a mental hospital? I would do it, I want help. I just don’t know what to do. By the way I am not suicidal.

A. Your fear of not knowing what to say may stem from the irrational belief that you’re to blame. Please know that you are not to blame for what may be wrong. It is possible that there’s a problem with your medication. Perhaps you’re on too high of a dose or alternatively not on a high enough dose.

It is also possible that something has happened in your life recently that has triggered this change in behavior. Talking it over with your psychiatrist or your therapist may help to uncover why there has been a change in your behavior.

I would encourage you to call your psychiatrist and let him or her know that something is wrong. The reality is that something is wrong and no one can help if you don’t speak up. If it is difficult for you to verbalize it, then you may give this letter to your psychiatrist or write a different letter about how you are feeling. I hope you’re able to get the help that you need. Please take care.